The Community Service Corps at Catholic High

Nick L. '23, Staff Writer

What is community service? Community service is work done by a person or group of people that benefits others. This is voluntary and unpaid work that helps people in our area. As once said by Mother Teresa, “Love cannot remain by itself — it has no meaning. Love has to be put into action and that action is service.” At Roman Catholic High School we have an association of students called the Community Service Corps or the CSC. Led by Theology Teacher Mrs. Judy McKenna, we set up specific dates to go out to our community and give back to the people. We go to schools, churches, and shelters all around Philadelphia. Recently, we assisted at Presentation BVM Church on Martin Luther King Day. When we were there, we helped with a Senior Luncheon. We all had certain jobs to maintain while we were there. Some of us were pouring coffee/tea, while others served and buttered bread, ladled pasta and soup, cleaned off the tables, and kept company with all the seniors there. We all had a great time and the senior citizens enjoyed themselves very much.

More recently, at school our club has set up a Can drive. This is where we brought in canned foods to our homeroom. The homerooms with the most cans, overall, and in each grade level were rewarded with Dress Down Days. Hundreds of cans were collected!  All of the cans go to a charity that CSC chooses. Our school tries to represent respect, faith, and loyalty and Community service is a great way to show it.

Finally, as said by Mr. Keith Beaver, “ Community service is always about giving of oneself —— their time, talents, and energy. In serving others, we are living out God’s call for each of us to be his disciple. This is THE way for one to put their faith into action.”