Hardworking Soccer Program Keeps Kicking Forward

Patrick O. '20, Staff Writer

As the new school year began, our Soccer team got ready to head in to training camp. During the summer our players took the time to get themselves in shape and ready for a long hot training camp. From the beginning, our team looked forward to always having a very good season. The Freshman team fought through a challenging season and finished 2-10-1 overall and 2-5 in the always competitive Catholic League. They got better as the year went on, they never gave up, and they kept fighting as they never put their heads down. The team proved they were there to play Roman soccer, and went on to beat Neumann-Goretti twice with scores of 6-2 and 5-0. They had three captains that made sure everyone kept working hard all season!

Similarly, Our Junior Varsity team had a very good season. They finished 11-6-1 on their season. The team fought hard in the Catholic League and finished 8-4-1. They played two competitive preseason games and also competed in a tournament and that helped show what they needed work on. Their first Catholic League game was against Archbishop Ryan and the squad went on to beat them 4-3 in a very good but hot game. The JV athletes also beat Saint Joseph Prep 2-0 in a traditional rivalry game. As the season went on the games got better though harder. The JV team had their ups and downs on the season, and lost some tough games. As the season wound down they played LaSalle and beat them 1-0 with a late-game winner. The JV team was led by three captains: Juniors Patrick O’Brien and John Stermel, and Sophomore Tyler Eroh.

Finally, our Varsity team once again had an excellent season. They had the same goal as last year and that was to make it to the championship and win.  Sadly, they fell short in the Championship with a heart breaking loss in a Shootout against Archbishop Wood. Overall, the squad had a superb season finishing the regular season 16-1-1 and compiling an impressive 11-1 mark in Catholic League play. Our Cahillites never disappointed, beating Father Judge 3-0, Saint Joseph Prep 2-0 and Archbishop Wood 1-0 which kept them in first place for a long time.

As usual, the team was led by very good Coaching, with Coach Ray DeStephanis guiding the program and with great senior leadership also.  Senior Captain Jared Dillion said “We had a wonderful year. We had our ups and downs. After losing to LaSalle, we showed are true character (by) winning six consecutive games.” Hopefully, our boys will show their spirit again next year and can bring a city title to add to Roman’s history!