A Fond Farewell to the Class of 2018

A+Roman+Tradition%2C+the+flag+is+passed+to+the+leaders+of+the+rising+Seniors.+

A Roman Tradition, the flag is passed to the leaders of the rising Seniors.

Billy M. '18, Co-Editor-in-Chief

Moderator’s Note: As shown in the accompanying picture, The 2018 Senior Class of 178 Students Graduated from the Basilica of Ss. Peter and Paul on Friday June 8th. Co-Editor in Chief William Miller ’18 offered reflection and advice below shortly before he graduated.

As the school year comes to a close and the Seniors prepare for graduation, it is a great time to reflect on my past four years at Roman Catholic and everything this school has done for me. Some say that High School is the best years of your life, and others say it’s the worst, but I can say that my time at Roman has been unforgettable in the best way.

Freshman year was a time of adjustment. Entering the halls of Broad and Vine for the first time, I didn’t know what to expect. I had only ever heard great things about the school, but I was still extremely nervous. Coming to a new environment full of unfamiliar faces is always daunting. However, I soon realized there was nothing to fear. Every teacher was caring and helpful, and I started to make new friends, who I hope to have for a years to come. Transitioning from a grade school to a high school mentality is difficult, but I was able to become comfortable quickly at Roman.

Sophomore year was a time of growth. Now adapted to the high school lifestyle, I was able to come into my own during Sophomore year. I joined more clubs, and I made more friends, including many from other schools. I’ve always been a shy person, but it was during this year that I started to come out of my shell. I also grew academically as a Sophomore. My course load started to increase and the material became more challenging, but it was because of this that I became more proficient in studying and time management. Sophomore year allowed me to develop as a student and as a person.

Junior year was a time of hard work. I started taking AP classes, which challenged me academically, and the preparation for college had begun. SAT practice had taken up much of my time during this year, and I also started my research on various schools. This was definitely my busiest year, but I still found time to hang out with friends. I also increased my involvement at Roman this year, joining SADD and the Cahillite Newspaper. Overall, Junior year was a work-heavy year, but it successfully prepared me for the college application process, and it was undoubtedly the most important year for me academically.

Senior year has been a time of excitement and preparation. The first half of the year was spent researching and applying for college. The entire process was equally nerve-wracking and exciting. I also started my classes at La Salle as a Diocesan Scholar, which was an unforgettable experience that I highly recommend. The second half of this year was spent winding down and attending events that signify the end of my time at Roman. My last Mother-Son Dance, Senior Prom, the Honors Convocation, and the Senior breakfast are all reminders that my life at Roman is coming to a close.

Leaving Roman Catholic High School is bittersweet. I am so excited to start the next chapter of my life at Temple University, but I am crushed to leave the place that has left such a positive impact on my life. I have made friends that I will remember forever, and I have learned so much from the amazing faculty. I know that this will not be the last time that I walk the halls of Broad and Vine. Once a Cahillite, always a Cahillite.