Spring Sports Recap

Brendan S. '19, Sports Editor

Our Roman Baseball, Volleyball, Tennis, Lacrosse, Crew, and Track Teams all had milestone seasons this year.

Outdoor Track and Field team had a great season. After a rough start with the team trying to find success, they went on to finish in fourth place in the Philadelphia Catholic League! They also found a third place finish in their district. Near the end of the season, the squad also participated in the 4by100 relay to qualify for states at Shippensburg University. There, our Cahillites finished 55th in the country!

The Lacrosse season was also very good. After winning only two games last year, the team was determined to get better. After losing nine seniors last year, the team started to rebuild and they went on to win three games this year and they remain confident for the future as they have many up-and-coming players.

Our Crew Team did very well too! After losing many seniors last year, the Crew Team found themselves in a rebuilding stage. With the addition of new assistant coaches, the team got a lot better on the river. At the City Championships the had up to four boats come in first, as well as many who got medals. After losing to LaSalle College High School in the PCL Championship the team was determined to get back in the water and perform. They went to Nationals and had a Freshman Quad advance to the finals, and a Freshman Quad that placed in six.

Who can forget about our Baseball Team? Like some of our other teams, after losing many seniors last year no one was really sure how the team would do in the ever-challenging Catholic League. They earned a successful 7-5 in the PCL and even found a berth in the playoffs. A highlight of their season was an upset of fifth-seeded Archbishop Wood. Sadly, they went on to lose to Archbishop Carroll in the quarter finals. These are great signs for the future from a team made up of mostly juniors and sophomores!

Also the Tennis Season was in full swing out on the court. They are also in the process of a rebuild after graduating many seniors last season. They ended their season 4-5 and made it to the quarterfinals before losing to Archbishop Carroll 1-4.

Last, but not least, our Volleyball players worked very hard this year. Varsity had a rough year with a 2-8 record yet the team gave their all at every match and the crew is trying to build up the program to get even more kids to come out next season. They are graduating 5 seniors and it is worth mentioning that the Junior Varsity team had a 9-1 season, which will make for a strong varsity line-up next year!

Congratulations to all of our Roman Athletes on jobs well done!