Constitution Day 2017: US Government Students Study National Impact of Former Cahillite

Will P. '20, Staff Writer

On Friday September 16, 2017, in celebration of Constitution Day the next Saturday, students in Mr. Corrigan’s Honors US Government Courses commemorated and studied the life work of James P. McGranery. James P. McGranery was a Roman student (circa 1913) who later, after serving in the 111th Infantry in the Great War, became a State Representative in our Legislature.  He eventually served in Congress in Washington D.C. and later found his way to the head of the Attorney General’s Office during Harry S. Truman’s Administration. Today, we are still reviewing his speeches. Perhaps one of his most famous speeches was given on Constitution Day sixty-five years ago (September 17, 1952) in which he argues for suffrage for those residents of Washington D.C., who to this day still lack representation equal to that of states’ citizens.

In Mr. Corrigan’s class, students examined the values of good citizenship Mr. McGranery articulated in his remarks and considered ways to apply those values in our lives today. Students also presented a public reading of the speech to their classmates, and were also treated to a visit from our High School Archivist, Mr. Edward Keenan ’54 who happened to be a student at Roman during the time McGranery delivered his remarks. These academic endeavors really show the impact of Roman Alumni across the decades and the power Roman students can make in our nation.  This truly was an honorable Constitution Day.

Here is a link to Mr. McGranery’s speech: