Groundbreaking for the ground breaking new Howard Center for the Arts

Billy M. '19, Staff Writer

Last year, Roman Catholic announced its massive plan for expansion, “A Vision of Promise.” The multi-phase plan includes a new fine arts building, a brand-new STEM center, a new gymnasium, a revamp of McSherry Hall, and finally a revamp of the original building itself at Broad and Vine. On Tuesday, May 30, Phase one officially began with the groundbreaking of the Howard Building for the Fine Arts. Located at 1212 Wood Street, the new building will contain a parking garage, a digital photography lab, a kiln room for art classes, several rooms for music lessons, and a few other instructional areas.
The dedication ceremony began with a performance by Roman’s own band, and continued with speeches from Father Bongard, members of the administration, and Mr. Howard, the primary donor for the facility and the building’s namesake. Following the speeches, Fr. Bongard, Mrs. Sticco, Mr. and Mrs. Howard, along with other donors dug the first plot of dirt, symbolizing the start of construction for the building.
“I’m so excited,” says junior David Waskiewicz. “Our fine arts program is finally able to expand, and I can’t wait to come back to Roman and see the progress that’s been made.” David, along with the rest of the juniors and seniors, will likely not be present during most of the construction, but many are looking forward to seeing the finished product in the coming years.
“This is really exciting for all Cahillites, but especially the future classes,” says junior Greg Maddox. Greg’s brother will be a freshman next year, so he will see firsthand the beginnings of the expansion during his time at Roman. “As an art student, I’m thrilled to see that the fine arts program is getting a well-deserved upgrade.”