Spring Sports in Full Swing

Brendan S. '19, Staff Writer

Spring sports are in full swing at Roman for our Baseball, Volleyball, Rugby, Tennis, Lacrosse, Crew, and Track Teams.

Our Varsity Baseball Team recently returned from their annual spring training in Florida where they successfully fielded fierce competition. Roman also beat the number 2 ranked team in Delaware, Caravel Academy, 3-2, and also crushed Bishop McDevitt, 15-0. They are looking to have another successful year, and are looking to be a tough-to-beat Catholic team team later in the season.

Our Rugby team is playing just as hard. The A-side team played a hard fought game against Father Judge, their bitter rivals, even though it ended in Judge’s favor, and B-side took a huge win, and gave “The hardest hits on the field” said Claudio Hassan’19.

The Lacrosse Season is also in full motion. Varsity and JV lacrosse took on Carroll earlier this April which both ended in Carroll’s favor. The Cahillite Laxers also fell short in hard-fought matches against Archbishop Ryan, Bonner-Prendergast, and Archbishop Wood. Nevertheless, our Cahillites remain committed to success. Senior Captain Jacob Hall had some words on the team so far,” Despite the…losses we had to face, we remain certainly optimistic.”

After a rocky 0-5 loss to Cardinal O’Hara to start the season, The Boys’ Tennis team seems to be turning it around after winning three subsequent PCL matches in a row earlier this month. The team looks really good, and has been swinging hard in practice each day.

Behind a different net, our Junior Varsity Team took on LaSalle College High School, even though it ended in a LaSalle win, the team took one out of 3 of the games, and the Varsity Team won their match over Cardinal O’Hara and has continued to play well throughout April.

The Cahillite Crewmen continue to impress on the River. Varsity Quad took 2nd place (John Meehan’17), Lightweight Quad took 3rd place (John Cepis’19), Junior Varsity Quad took 1st place (Tucker Goschinski’18), Varsity Single took 2nd place (Pablo Leiva),Lightweight double took 3rd place( Ethan Hack’19), Junior Varsity Single took 2nd place (James Cepis’19), and Varsity Double took 6th place( Ed Dunbar’17).

Last, but certainly not least, Outdoor Track has kicked off. Great news to start the season as our SMR Team qualified for Nationals which was ran by Ollie Fisher’19, Malik Griffin’20, Frank Gubler’20, and Sean Brown’17, and two school records were broken by Dante McLeod’18 for Javelin and Brendan Storino’19 for the 3k Steeplechase. These are great signs at such an early time in the season.

We would like to wish all student athletes good luck on continued success this season! Keep up the hard work guys!