Celebrating the Class of 2020!

Colin L. '21, Staff Writer

In early September 2016, the Class of 2020 took their first steps into Catholic High. The freshman, on the lowest of low in the high school fantasy hierarchy, now are sophisticated young men going off to study professions like Business, Finance, Law, English, Political Science, Engineering and much more! Not only will some students be going to college, some will be enlisting in the armed services and trade school, among numerous other paths.

Snow breaks and SEPTA strikes never stopped this bunch! While this virus has put a halt to life in the last months, this is surely not going to stop the long-continued spirit here at school. After contacting numerous seniors on their thoughts of this unexpected twist here are some reflections:

Jared Williams stated, “Being a senior in quarantine has been rough. It isn’t only because [he’s] not in school, it is because [he] can’t physically interact with [his] friends.” Similarly, John Nacchio reflected “Quarantine certainly was an abrupt and unexpected ending to [his] time at Roman. Over the past couple of weeks, [He has] learned to value and cherish the friends and memories [he] made at school.” Additionally, John Nori explains, “[He’s] not going to lie — it has not been easy. It’s not so much the work or the irregularity of schedule that has thrown [him] off — that stuff [He’s] used to. It’s the fact that [his] class missed almost half of [his] senior year. Things that people talk about as ‘defining moments’ in your life just suddenly can take away. It hasn’t been all bad though. The commitment of the entire RCHS community to ensuring that we have the best senior experience possible under these circumstances has really been a comfort during these times.”

This class experienced many hallmark events. They cheered at the Palestra for basketball playoff games several times. They watched their classmates compete on the Soccer Field for the PCL Championship each of their four years. The Wrestling team continuously sent wrestlers to districts and Bowling won multiple PCL championships due to contributions of our graduating seniors.

These seniors led as the Mock Trial team continued their winning streak finally, gaining an eighth consecutive City Championship this past year. Members of SADD got the opportunity to compete in the NJM insurance group competition through this year, and World Affairs continued their successful seasons all four years.

Officers of NHS, Ambassadors, and Student Council continued the mission and legacy of our beloved school. While these were just some of the many clubs and sports victories here at Roman, it was clear that this class was extremely successful and we all know that they will achieve all of their future goals.

While it is terribly unfortunate they could not spend the rest of their senior year together, Father Bongard has announced plans to have a graduation in the middle of summer contingent upon state and local regulations.  Officially, the 2020 Cahillites graduated in a virtual ceremony live streamed on June 5th, after a similarly moving virtual Baccalaureate Mass the previous evening.