Postponed but Still Important: Mass for Disabilities

2019 Mass for Persons with Disabilities

www.catholicphilly.com

2019 Mass for Persons with Disabilities

Kyle M. '20, Staff Writer

Editors Note: Kyle M. ’20 wrote the following reflection about his attendance last year at the Annual Archdiocesan Mass for Disabilities.  The event was scheduled for March 21st and is currently postponed.  Mr. Ed Keenan ’54 coordinates the attendance of Roman students each and every year for this important event honoring those who are among the most vulnerable in our society.   

President John F. Kennedy once said “every accomplishment starts with the decision to try.” Last spring I attended the Archdiocesan Celebration trying to satisfy my community service hours for the year. I left thinking it may be my calling in life to work with those who have disabilities. I have been involved with people with special needs all my life. My sister is on the autism spectrum, and she brightens everyone’s day whenever we are lucky enough to be in her company. The Archdiocesan Celebration last March confirmed to me that these people are truly the special ones. I know I am not special by comparison. To be appreciated for just spending time with someone, or helping one get in or out of a car, is truly an amazing experience. I am lucky enough to experience that unconditional love and respect on a daily basis with my sister. The Archdiocesan Celebration was an even bigger eye opener, especially with everyone focused now on my plans for the future. I cannot wait to do it again in the future, even though this year’s event was postponed. The wise Albert Einstein said “most people see what is, and never see what can be.” I feel that a life helping those with special needs can be very special.