Students SPEAK UP on Important Issues in March

Nick L. '23, Staff Writer

What is Speak Up? Speak Up is a group of student leaders who have discussions about real life problems or situations. Speak Up is designed to make you talk about your problems and for you to speak up with whatever you need help with. Once a year, the team members and student leadership team get together and hold a big event. All people are welcomed including parents, kids, elders, and students from local schools. This year’s event was held at Roman Catholic High School. Roman teamed up with Hallahan to make this event a success. To prepare for this huge event, the Speak Up team held many practices. These practices were either held at Roman or Hallahan. At our practices we would discuss certain topics and choose which ones were most important. The topics this year were drugs and alcohol, peer pressure, anxiety, relationships, racism, sexism, bullying, prejudice, and stress.

At our main event on March 3rd, people came and were divided up into different groups. Depending on your group, you were put in your own classroom with others who had chosen the same subject. We had a moderator to start off the conversation and then everybody else joined in. We then talked about our topic and everybody had a chance to express his or her point of view about it for about an hour.  Our Speak up team was led by Roman Catholic teacher Paul McAndrew. He commented “Speak Up! provides students, parents, and teachers the opportunity to have a conversation about difficult topics that students go through every day.” I hope I have encouraged you to join speak up in the next upcoming year. All are welcome!