Bowling for Success

Malik J. '20, Staff Writer

Roman’s Bowling Team rolled extremely well this year, finishing third in the Philadelphia Catholic League regular season. After winning last year’s nail biting “PCL” Championship against Archbishop Ryan, Roman Catholic had a major title to defend after five impressive seniors graduated last year, we knew that we had to bring it to win it this year.

The team was led by four seniors: John Altomare, Jake DelGuercio, Joshua Artis, and myself along with sophomores David Trimber and Evan Garland. As a team, we always gave our all when we laced up our shoes and took the lanes. During the annual mid-season Snowroller Tournament in New Jersey, we bowled a high series of 3010 to qualify as the number one seed going into the semi-final roll off. We battled hard to defeat Father Judge, a PCL rival, in order to advance to the championship, but fell short in the final and claimed the second place trophy. Roman used the tournament as motivation and we climbed to fourth place finish in the PCL earning the right to defend the PCL title in the playoffs. On Tuesday, February 18th, Roman Catholic defeated Archbishop Wood at our home lanes, Pep Bowl, to move onto the Semi-final round.

Unfortunately, our PCL championship run fell short after a tough loss against LaSalle College High School in the Semi-final match, at Thunderbird Lanes in Warminster. We didn’t let that defeat us though as we knew we had one more team event to participate in. Placing fourth in the PCL as a team, we were eligible to bowl in the state tournament! On February 29th, we traveled to Lancaster, Pennsylvania to bowl in the Eastern Regional State Championship Tournament. We had fun bowling together and cheering each other on, while representing Roman Catholic one last time!

I represented Roman individually in the singles Eastern Regional State Championship Tournament. After bowling five games, I placed 89th out of 164 bowlers, with a score of 911 pins. I also qualified to be on the First Team All-Catholic with an average of 181 pins! On March 1st, I participated in the Coaches Invitational Tournament, where the top twenty bowlers bowled against each other in order to win the championship plate. As the tenth best bowler in the league, I advanced to the semi final by placing third overall in the tournament. I fought hard and advanced to the championship match. I was able to defeat my opponent 189-187 pins in one of the closest bowling matches in the PCL Coaches Tournament history and I became the 2020 PCL Coaches Invitational Tournament Champion! It was a moment I will never forget!

Roman’s Bowling Team showed heart, passion and determination to never stop battling on the lanes no matter the cost. Thanks to the entire Roman Catholic Bowling Team, our parents,  AD Matt Griffin, Coach Joe, Coach Jack and Coach Pat, for all of their support in making this past season a true success!

Editor’s Note: Longtime head Coach Joseph Wildes ’74 passed away April 19th after a valiant battle with Cancer.  A moving virtual prayer service was held by the Roman Community on April 24th.